Reasons Behind Mini Clutch Failure From the Expert Mechanics in Planoby europewpadmin August 25, 2019
Mini’s are reliable, hardworking vehicles which changed the automotive industry forever back in the 1960’s. By offering cheaper, yet still high-quality vehicles to the masses, a new generation of drivers were born. The Mini was adopted into both the motoring world and that of pop culture and merchandise.
However, even the plucky little Mini isn’t free from inherent parts issues or foibles. Over the decades, Minis have become known for suffering with clutch failure, if not correctly cared for. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the causes behind this issue and discuss how you can avoid them.
What is the clutch?
Unlike some systems on your Mini, the clutch is really easy to get your head around. In simple terms, your clutch is what connects the power from your Mini’s engine to its wheels. When you shift gears, the clutch momentarily disengages the engine to allow the gear shift to occur successfully.
Clutch Issues and your Mini
Every car manufacturer tends to have synonymous part failure. For some, it is issues with rust. Others may have suspension problems. For the Mini, it tends to be a clutch that can fail prematurely. This problem is particularly prevalent with Minis that have manual transmission. Noteable models that can struggle with this issue include the Mini Cooper produced between 2002 to 2015.
Repair or Replace
When facing clutch problems, there are 2 types of failure; those that can be repaired and those that will need replacement. When it comes to clutch problems, it is important that you do not put off repairs, as if left long enough, this will lead to a more expensive full replacement.
Your clutch will need repairs if:
- Shifting gears isn’t possible
- Grinding transmission when shifting gears
- Loose feeling clutch pedal
- You need to push the pedal all the way down when changing gears
- A rattling noise from under the Mini that occurs when the vehicle is in neutral and the clutch pedal is released.
Your clutch will need replacement if:
- The engine revs excessively when you accelerate
- It takes a while for your engine to activate after you release the clutch
- Your Mini doesn’t move at all when you release the clutch pedal
- You hear grinding noises when you press the clutch pedal
- You feel vibrations when you shift the clutch
What causes the clutch on my Mini to fail?
There can be many causes of premature clutch wear. Of course, when thinking specifically of the Mini, there are already prerequisites which can increase risk. However, in general, clutch failure can occur because of the reasons listed below:
- Excessive riding of the clutch pedal
- Regularly allowing the clutch to slip
- Towing a heavy trailer
- Hauling heavy loads
- Spinning tires (particularly in sports or muscle cars)
- Engine mods (particularly those that boost power)
- Leaky or worn piston seals
- Issues with seals in the master cylinder or slave cylinder
- Hydraulic fluid leaks
- Failing clutch release mechanism
- Pivot fork problems
- Bad release bearing
- Bad pilot bushing
- Poor flywheel condition
When it comes to safeguarding your Mini against inherent part failure, the best thing you can do is to take your car in for regular servicing and maintenance checks. This will ensure any fault is caught early when it is usually easy to fix and affordable to repair. This also means that you will always get the very best out of your Mini when it comes to performance and handling. Ideally, you should make sure that the auto shop you go to are specialists in European vehicles, as they will be more knowledgeable in the likely fault of the specific make and model of your car and will be able to monitor signs and symptoms of failure accordingly.
European Auto Tech
If you are looking for a European automotive specialist you can trust, then you should consider European Auto Tech as your number one option. Servicing those living in and around Allen, Dallas, Flower Mound, Frisco, Highland Park, McKinney, Park Cities, Richardson, Southlake, University Park, and Plano, TX, our experienced team of mechanics are always on hand. We offer a 90-day/4,000 mile guarantee on all labor. Call us or come by today for a consultation and let us become your trusted experts for all your MINI’s needs.