What Causes Your Land Rover’s Airbag Light to Come On?by europewpadmin November 19, 2021
A Land Rover’s airbag light is a direct indication of how this system is functioning. As a pertinent part of your Land Rover’s safety system, the airbags are responsible for keeping your passengers safe and secure in the event of a collision.
Set to expand with a specific amount of force, the airbags in your Land Rover eject when the vehicle is involved in a collision. However, there are times when your Land Rover’s airbag light may come on, which can be a rare occurrence or an indicator of a larger problem. Discerning which of these two instances is the case can be a deeper issue that requires extra attention from a seasoned technician or professional.
Reasons Why a Land Rover’s Airbag Light Might Come On
There are a few reasons why your Land Rover’s airbag light might come on, which span from technical issues to true malfunction.
- Airbag Deactivation: If your airbags are deactivated, which can be signaled by a warning light, they won’t expand in the event of an accident.
- Battery Problems: When your Land Rover’s battery has been recently depleted, it can cause the battery backup that powers your vehicle’s airbags to also malfunction.
- Faulty Crash Sensors: As another sign of airbag deactivation, if your Land Rover’s crash sensors think your vehicle has been in an accident, then the warning light may illuminate and remain on.
- Seat Belts: As opposite as it may sound, the seatbelts of your vehicle can actually cause your airbag warning light to come on, too. If the sensors in your computer don’t tell your vehicle you’ve put your seatbelts on all the way, it could cause the airbag light to illuminate.
- Fender Bender: When you’re involved in a small accident that doesn’t result in much damage, the collision force alone can make your airbag lights come on. This will need to be reset by a professional.
- Water Damage: Especially common in electrical systems, water damage can cause your airbag light to come on when it otherwise wouldn’t.
- Airbag System Not Reset Properly: If your Land Rover has been in an accident and the airbag system was not reset properly, it can cause the airbag light to come on when there is no other reason for it.
Common Fixes for Your Airbag Light Illumination
Of course, if your airbag warning light is on for a good reason, it is worth getting it checked out by a professional. However, there are times when you can troubleshoot your airbag light and get it to go off on its own.
If the airbag light comes on because your seatbelt isn’t hooked properly, then a quick and easy fix would be to take your seat belt buckle out and put it back in with enough force to get the light to read this has been done.
However, other more serious problems, such as being involved in a small accident or having fault crash sensors are issues that are better left for the professionals. As an integral component of your Land Rover’s safety system, you want someone who knows what they are doing and has a history of Land Rover repair with extensive experience to ensure your safety during an accident.
Get Help for Your Land Rover’s Airbag Light at European Auto Tech
When you need assistance with the airbag lights in your Land Rover in the areas of Allen, Dallas, Flower Mound, Frisco, Highland Park, McKinney, Park Cities, Richardson, Southlake, University Park, or Plano in Texas, make European Auto Tech your first stop.
European vehicles often are known for their higher levels of performance and luxury features, so it takes a certain standard of care to live up to the expectations owners of these vehicles have. We provided dealership-level services at our repair facility in Plano, TX. European Auto Repair employs certified expert mechanics with extensive knowledge in Land Rover services, who will treat your vehicles with the utmost care. So, the next time your Land Rover needs service for its airbag light, give us a call at European Auto Tech at (972) 422-9941.