When to Replace Your Volvo’s Steering Columnby europewpadmin October 25, 2023
The steering column of a Volvo is a critical component that plays a pivotal role in ensuring the safe and smooth operation of your car or SUV. It connects the steering wheel to the rest of the steering system, allowing the driver to control the direction of the car. Over time, however, the steering column can experience various issues that can significantly impact your Volvo’s performance and, most importantly, safety. Understanding the right time for a steering column replacement will not only keep your Volvo in top shape but also ensure your peace of mind while driving.
Causes of Volvo’s Steering Column Failure
Lack of Lubrication
Proper lubrication is essential to reduce friction and ensure smooth movement of the steering column components. If the steering column isn’t adequately lubricated, it can lead to increased wear on parts like universal joints and bearings, eventually causing failure.
Exposure to moisture, road salt, and other environmental factors can lead to corrosion of the steering column components. Corrosion weakens the structural integrity of the column and can cause it to fail prematurely.
Accidents or collisions can cause damage to the steering column. Even if the damage isn’t immediately noticeable, it can weaken the column’s structural integrity over time, leading to failure.
Wear and Tear
Over time, the steering column can experience normal wear and tear due to the constant movement and stress it undergoes during driving. The various joints and components within the steering column can develop play or looseness, resulting in a less responsive steering feel.
Sometimes, steering column failure can result from the failure of individual components within the column, such as the clock spring, ignition switch, or control module. These components are critical for various functions, including the operation of airbags and the vehicle’s electrical systems.
Watch for these Signs that You Need a Steering Column Replacement
- Rough Handling: One of the most common signs of a failing steering column is experiencing rough handling while driving. If you notice that your Volvo is becoming increasingly difficult to control, especially when turning, it could be due to a problem with the steering column. This can make driving unsafe and should be addressed promptly.
- Tilt Mechanism Issues: Many modern vehicles come equipped with adjustable steering columns that allow you to tilt the steering wheel to a comfortable position. If the tilt mechanism no longer locks or holds its position as intended, it could be a sign of internal problems within the steering column. This can lead to discomfort and impaired control while driving.
- Strange Noises: Unusual noises coming from the steering wheel or column can be an early indication of problems. These noises can include grinding or clunking sounds when turning the wheel. Such noises may be a result of worn-out or damaged components within the steering column, and they should not be ignored.
- Difficulty Operating the Steering Wheel: If you find it increasingly difficult to turn the steering wheel, it may be due to issues with the steering column. This can make it challenging to make precise movements while driving and can also lead to fatigue and discomfort.
- Steering Wheel Won’t Return to the Middle: When you turn the steering wheel, it should naturally return to the center position when you release it. If the steering wheel doesn’t return to the middle on its own or feels off-center, it could be a sign that there’s a problem with the steering column, such as misalignment or internal damage.
Reliable Steering Column Solutions for Your Volvo
At European Auto Tech, we understand the importance of a functional steering column in your Volvo. Our team of highly trained technicians specializes in diagnosing and resolving issues related to Volvo’s steering columns. Whether you’re experiencing unusual steering behavior, strange noises, or any other steering-related concerns, we are here to help.
We proudly serve the communities of Allen, Dallas, Flower Mound, Frisco, Highland Park, McKinney, Park Cities, Richardson, Southlake, University Park, Plano, TX, and beyond. Our commitment to delivering exceptional service and ensuring your Volvo’s safety and performance is second to none. Book an appointment with us today, and let our experts inspect, diagnose, and repair your Volvo’s steering column, ensuring you enjoy a smooth and safe driving experience for miles to come.